Online Marketers to Spend More on Site Search Technology

According to new research from Searchandise Commerce and iProspect the option of site search, that is a search engine located on a particular retailer’s web site, is a key element to enhance online 

shopping experience and therefore drive sales. Their survey revealed that 40% of online shoppers make use of site search option to find products they need on a retailer’s site, whereas only 20% browse the home or landing page.

According to another survey, this time from Econsultancy, published in association with search firm Funnelback, companies worldwide are increasing their investment in site search in order to enhance the user experience, encourage more usage of their websites and of course to stimulate sales. They found that 57% of companies are going to increase their investment in on-site search technology in the coming year, while the rest 43% intend to maintain their existing budget.

The research conducted by Econsultancy is based on a survey of 500 companies worldwide which uncovered that better user experience is seen as a major benefit of site search by 83%of businesses, the next biggest benefits being increased site usage and increased sales.

Most customers, who have a clear idea of what they’re looking for, don’t like navigating and browsing through a site, that’s why effective site search is so vital for them. Indeed, entering a product name into the search box denotes an intent to purchase, so an efficient site search option will pay off handsomely.

There is also a great benefit in the data generated by user searches. This usually provides a priceless insight into the minds of consumers, which can help improve the site search, as well as other areas of marketing, for instance, paid search strategies.

According to Stephen Morgan, Funnelback UK managing director, a large number of site search users continue to have quite a disappointing experience, with only half finding what they are searching for. “The need for quality website search is accelerating, as Internet users get used to increasingly sophisticated and relevant returns. A great search engine needs to deliver a fast, accurate result set and then expand on this to allow the user to correct, expand or refine what they’re looking for, quickly and easily,” Morgan said.

Leave a Comment